The Desert Regional Centre of the Zoological Survey of India, Jodhpur was established in June, 1960 in the name of Desert and Gangetic Plains Regional Station under Second Five Year Plan to survey the faunal diversity of Desert Biome. Later, in 1965 due to the characteristic changes in its boundaries, it was renamed as at present. The Jurisdiction of the Centre is spread over 3, 42,239 Sq. km. area of Rajasthan and 1,81,1000 Sq. km. of Gujarat, covering 33 Districts of Rajasthan and 25 Districts of Gujarat. The area encompasses 6 National Parks and 44 Wildlife Sanctuaries, 2 Tiger Reserve and 3 Ramsar Site. The Centre is engaged in the documentation of the rich and diverse faunal resources of the Rajasthan and Gujarat state by conducting field explorations and scientific studies.